A quality professional headshot is a vital tool for establishing credibility and making strong first impressions in business, online profiles, and marketing materials. With more networking and recruiting happening remotely, an engaging, polished headshot can give you an edge. For entrepreneurs, executives, and other professionals in the your area looking to update their look, here is an overview of how to get professional headshots in Austin.
Key Uses for Professional Headshots
Some of the most common uses for professional headshot photography include:
- LinkedIn profile picture
- Company website bio photo
- Printed business cards
- Online dating/social media profiles
- Email signature photo
- Job or graduate school applications
- Print and digital advertising
- Conference speaker/expert bios
- Company brochures and reports
- Book jacket or author bio photo
- Press releases and media kits
A high-quality headshot optimized for your needs ensures you always put your best face forward across these uses.
Tips for What to Wear and Bring
The right wardrobe helps you feel confident and convey professionalism in your photos:
- Wear well-fitted, minimal patterns in neutral, dark, or rich colors that complement your complexion. Avoid large prints or loud colors.
- For men, suits in navy, gray, or black look sharp. Pair with a crisp dress shirt and simple tie.
- Women can wear a flattering blouse or dress. A blazer or cardigan adds polish. Minimal jewelry works best.
- Style your hair neatly and naturally. Shave for men or tidy facial hair. Apply basic makeup for women.
- Bring multiple outfit options and any needed touch-up supplies to your shoot.
Having wardrobe choices helps your photographer select the most flattering look for you. Avoid outfits that are distracting or don’t convey your desired professional image.
How to Find the Right Austin Headshot Photographer
With so many photographers in Austin, how do you find the right one for professional headshots? Here are key tips:
- Search professional directories like LinkedIn to find experienced headshot specialists.
- Review portfolios online to ensure a consistent style and quality you like.
- Look for a clean, modern studio convenient to your location.
- Check they use high-end DSLR cameras, lenses, and lighting.
- Read reviews on Google, Facebook, and Yelp for professionalism and satisfied clients.
- Ask about turnaround time to receive final edited photos.
- Compare pricing options. Bundles help maximize value.
Taking time to research and vet photographers results in a great experience and headshots you’ll use confidently for years.
What to Expect During the Headshot Session
A typical professional headshot session may include:
- Discussing intended uses for the photos, clothing, and any preferences.
- Signing any paperwork like model releases that may be required.
- Makeup and hair styling, if offered and desired.
- Reviewing a few sample poses and expressions.
- Standing in front of the backdrop or scene selected by the photographer.
- Following the photographer’s direction for tilting head, adjusting expression, posture, etc.
- Smiling naturally and looking genuinely at the camera.
- Multiple outfit changes to create variety.
- Viewing photos on the camera display and selecting favorites.
The photographer will guide you through flattering poses to capture high-quality photos efficiently. Speak up about any preferences or concerns.
How Photographers Optimize Headshots
Quality photography is just the start. The best headshot specialists will then professionally edit and retouch photos using software like Photoshop and Lightroom to:
- Color correct for accurate, pleasing skin tones and brightness.
- Adjust contrast and shadows.
- Sharpen details and enhance clarity.
- Smooth out facial blemishes, lines, shiny spots, etc. for a polished look.
- Ensure consistent skin smoothing and editing across batch of photos.
- Crop images square, vertically, or horizontally based on intended use.
- Convert color to black and white or gray scale, if desired.
- Add text like names, titles, logos, or watermarks per your request.
Skilled retouching enhances your best features while still looking natural. This takes professional editing know-how.
What to Expect to Spend
Professional headshot pricing varies by photographer and factors like:
- Session length – Typically ranges from 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Shooting location – Studio, outdoors, or on-location.
- Image use – Print, digital, commercial, etc. More usage rights increase cost.
- Image number – Sessions include 10-30+ final edited photos.
- Retouching – Basic or premium retouching.
- Extra services – Hair, makeup, clothing assistance.
- Package options – Good value bundles versus a la carte.
Expect to invest around $300-$600 on average in the Austin area for enough high-quality headshots to cover your needs.
Great professional headshots convey confidence, credibility, and trustworthiness at a glance while showing off your unique personality and brand. Investing in an experienced local photographer with a style you like can pay dividends for years through key uses like your LinkedIn profile, website, and resume. With some preparation and tips for looking and feeling your best, a professional headshot session ensures you always present your most polished, memorable image.